Comment on page
Migrating your settings
Tips for copying your current theme settings to a new version of Pipeline
These steps are for merchants already using Pipeline 6 and above.
If your store is running Pipeline 5 or earlier, migrating settings is not recommend. Due to the many performance improvements included in Shopify Online Store 2, legacy settings files will slow down your store load times. A fresh theme build is recommended when updating to the new Shopify OS2 platform.
Pipeline 6 is designed for Shopify Online Store 2.0. For customers who are already using Pipeline 6 or above and also updating to a newer version, these tips will help you migrate your current shop settings and sections over to a newer version of Pipeline. Full video walkthrough on how to migrate your settings and sections:
Tips to copy over all your settings and sections
Steps covered in the video:
- Making a duplicate of your live theme (required)
- Copy current Pipeline 6 settings to a newer version of Pipeline (example Pipeline 6.1.1)
- Copy all sections, blocks, and section settings (including homepage sections) from the current live theme to the newer version of Pipeline.
- 1.We recommend you copy all JSON files from the Templates folder rather than only the ones with blue dots. The blue dots won't appear on copied themes and we have also seen the Shopify Code Editor to not place blue dots in some cases to files that have been changed. Our strong recommendation is to copy all .JSON files from the templates folder one-by-one to your new theme.
- 2.If you experience an error when copying from a file and saving on the new theme, skip that file. This can occur when a setting value is not supported in a newer version. In this case, you can manually create the content in the Theme Editor. In some cases, you might be able to adjust in code to handle the setting change but we recommend you hire or use a developer to make those edits.
Disclaimer The tips provided on this page and video are for advanced users, agencies, and Shopify Experts. Shopify does not currently have a system in place to update themes automatically. For that reason, we have provided these tips to help you. Our free theme support does not include copying these files for you. If you require assistance with updating themes, please consult a Shopify Expert. Remember to always make a duplicate of your live theme (covered in the video) before making any code changes in the Code Editor.
When copying over your sections, section blocks, and section settings, these are the JSON files listed in the Templates folder:
Example .JSON files in the templates folder
The blue dot next to the filename indicates the file has been modified or updated which also means you will need to copy all the code from that file to your new theme version. These JSON files store all your sections, section blocks, and section settings when using Shopify Online Store 2.0. We recommend you copy ALL .JSON files with, or without a blue dot from the templates folder over to the new theme.