How to setup siblings
Steps to configure Siblings
Feature introduced in Pipeline 6.2
These are the five main components of setting up product siblings:
- 1.Create individual products which will later be connected together as one. Each product can have variants like sizes. The color variant will be replaced by the Siblings feature.
- 2.Group the Sibling products together into a custom collection (hidden from other collections).
- 3.Define two custom metafields to link each product together, automatically creating linked product swatches.
- 4.Update each of the products with the metafield information. For example, color names and which collection they belong to.
- 5.The last step is to add the siblings block in the Theme Editor and configure the settings.
Create individual products that are similar. Use the same name for the product title with each product:
Each product has the same name
When building Siblings, you'll be replacing one product that has multiple color variants into multiple products which are later linked together as one. For example, if a t-shirt has five colors, you'll build five individual products, each can have variants like sizes but skip the color variant as that will be replaced by the Siblings feature.
Each of these products should have the exact same name, simply make one and then copy that product multiple times.
Remember, skip the Color variant as that will be created using a Metafield instead of a regular variant.
In this example, we will combine all these products into one product using the Siblings feature. Therefore, each product is a duplicate of the other with the exception of the product images. Each product represents one color for the combined product.
Once connected to each other as siblings, they will appear with linked swatches to each other:
The Color will be created using Metafields
Each product can have its own images, inventory, prices, description, and variants like Size (skip the color variant but create other variants needed):
This Top has multiple sizes but no color variants - Colors are added in a later step with Metafields
A Color variant isn't required as that will be replaced by image swatches and a metafield is used to display the color.
Tip: Create the first product with sizes and prices, then duplicate that product and add new images for each variation and adjust the description, inventory, and prices. Only the product name needs to be the same for all products.
Overview on building products
After creating the products, place them all in one collection. The collection does not need to be used for any other purpose (can be hidden from your storefront):
Overview of building a collection for Siblings feature
The next step is to create two product metafields which are used to connect all the products and information together: